THE PIRATES to Set Sail in 15 Countries
Summer Swashbuckler Scores Sales in Cannes
Lotte Entertainment’s high summer blockbuster The Pirates made a big splash at this year’s Cannes Film Market, during which it struck distribution deals with 15 countries around the world. Starring SON Ye-jin and KIM Nam-gil, the film secured to sales to major exhibition markets such as North America, Germany and Japan, among others.
The Pirates is a USD 15 million-budgeted swashbuckler coming from director LEE Seok-hoon, whose last film Dancing Queen was the top Korean Lunar New Year release of 2012, when it attracted over four million viewers. In the film, multiple factions, including a band of pirates, try to track down a gray whale that swallowed a royal seal.
The debut poster for the film was revealed in the pages of Screen International during Cannes and the film went on to lock deals with distributors in North America, Japan, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Poland, Taiwan, Thailand, India and various countries in Eastern Europe and South America. Overseas buyers were able to see a short trailer for the film and were said to be impressed by the quality of the film’s effects and the scale of its action set pieces.
The film will be released in late summer, when it will go head to head with a pair of other big budget period films, CJ Entertainment’s Roaring Currents and Showbow’s Kundo: The Age of the Rampant.
- Any copying, republication or redistribution of Kofic's content is
prohibited without prior consent of Kofic.
- - IM Sang-soo Returns with MY FRIENDLY VILLAINS
- - Singapore and Indonesia Indulge in Korean Film
- - International Documentary Film Festival Amsterdam Invites 3 Korean Films
- - Warner Bros. Expands Korean Distribution through IPTV
- - A DREAM OF IRON and A GIRL AT MY DOOR Screening in Chicago
- - 10 SCENE STEALERS①-KWAK Do-won
- - 10 SCENE STEALERS②-KIM In-kwon
- - 10 SCENE STEALERS③-LEE Sung-min
- - 10 SCENE STEALERS④-CHO Jin-woong
- - 10 SCENE STEALERS⑩-KOH Sui-hee
- - An Interview with Syd LIM, CEO of Yong Film, behind PARK Chan-wook’s New Film Agassi
- - Roaring Currents & Lucy CHOI Min-shik
- - ALIVE Actor & Director : PARK Jung-Bum
- - Cart Director Boo Ji-young
- - SET ME FREE Director KIM Tae-yong
- - Korean Directors Roaring in China