THE PIRATES to Set Sail in 15 Countries
Summer Swashbuckler Scores Sales in Cannes
Lotte Entertainment’s high summer blockbuster The Pirates made a big splash at this year’s Cannes Film Market, during which it struck distribution deals with 15 countries around the world. Starring SON Ye-jin and KIM Nam-gil, the film secured to sales to major exhibition markets such as North America, Germany and Japan, among others.
The Pirates is a USD 15 million-budgeted swashbuckler coming from director LEE Seok-hoon, whose last film Dancing Queen was the top Korean Lunar New Year release of 2012, when it attracted over four million viewers. In the film, multiple factions, including a band of pirates, try to track down a gray whale that swallowed a royal seal.
The debut poster for the film was revealed in the pages of Screen International during Cannes and the film went on to lock deals with distributors in North America, Japan, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Poland, Taiwan, Thailand, India and various countries in Eastern Europe and South America. Overseas buyers were able to see a short trailer for the film and were said to be impressed by the quality of the film’s effects and the scale of its action set pieces.
The film will be released in late summer, when it will go head to head with a pair of other big budget period films, CJ Entertainment’s Roaring Currents and Showbow’s Kundo: The Age of the Rampant.
- Any copying, republication or redistribution of Kofic's content is
prohibited without prior consent of Kofic.
- - Gyorgy Palfi’s FREE FALL Lands at Karlovy Vary
- - Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival Held Official Press Conference
- - SHIM Hyung-rae’s D-WAR 2 Secures Investment of 10 Million USD
- - Mokpo Ocean Film Festival Raises Curtains July 31st
- - RYU Seung-ryong and Suzy star in DORIHWAGA
- - KIM Sae-ron of A GIRL AT MY DOOR
- - JANG Woo-jin, Director of A FRESH START
- - SHIM Eun-kyoung of MISS GRANNY
- - PARK Chan-kyong’s Manshin Reasserts the Importance of Korean Shamanism
- - JANG Kunjae, Director of A MIDSUMMER'S FANTASIA
- [IN FOCUS]
- - In Focus: No Tears for the Dead
- - JOUNG Yu-mi, Director of LOVE GAMES
- - Interview with Jeonju Jury Member Paolo Bertolin
- - HYUN Bin of THE FATAL ENCOUNTER
- - LEE Jeon-hyoung, CEO/VFX Supervisor of 4th Creative Party
- - HWANG In-ho, Director of MONSTER
- - Co-production Biz-matching Support Submissions Open in July
- - Supporting Emerging Korean Co-productions
- - Interview with Co-Production Veteran Iris MA
- - Four Projects Selected for Korean Film Business Center in Beijing
- - Korean Academy of Film Arts Hosts “2014 KAFA + Indonesia Workshop” in Korea