Cannes Title THE TARGET Sells for CJ
Korean POINT BLANK Remake a Hit with Buyers
Ahead of its screening as part of the Midnight Section of the 67th Cannes International Film Festival, Korean action-thriller The Target sealed a slew of sales for its financier and distributor CJ Entertainment. The sophomore film of director CHANG, which is a remake of the French thriller Point Blank (2010), stars RYU Seung-ryong, LEE Jin-wook and YU Jun-sang and has been doing brisk business at the local box office in Korea.
The Target locked deals with Borsalino in Latin America, Welt Kino in Germany, Praesens in Switzerland, Medyavizyon in Turkey and Gulf Films for the Middle East. In addition, the film’s in-flight rights were snatched up by Skymedia. Meanwhile, back in Korea the film took third place at the box office during its fourth weekend. To date, the thriller has drawn 2.78 million viewers.
Character actor RYU graduated to leading man with last year’s smash hit Miracle in Cell No. 7 and the success of his latest feature confirms his status as a box office star. The Target was one of three Korean features that screened at Cannes, along with A Girl at My Door in Un Certain Regard and A Hard Day in Director’s Fortnight.
- Any copying, republication or redistribution of Kofic's content is
prohibited without prior consent of Kofic.
- - Gyorgy Palfi’s FREE FALL Lands at Karlovy Vary
- - Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival Held Official Press Conference
- - SHIM Hyung-rae’s D-WAR 2 Secures Investment of 10 Million USD
- - Mokpo Ocean Film Festival Raises Curtains July 31st
- - RYU Seung-ryong and Suzy star in DORIHWAGA
- - KIM Sae-ron of A GIRL AT MY DOOR
- - JANG Woo-jin, Director of A FRESH START
- - SHIM Eun-kyoung of MISS GRANNY
- - PARK Chan-kyong’s Manshin Reasserts the Importance of Korean Shamanism
- - JANG Kunjae, Director of A MIDSUMMER'S FANTASIA
- [IN FOCUS]
- - In Focus: No Tears for the Dead
- - JOUNG Yu-mi, Director of LOVE GAMES
- - Interview with Jeonju Jury Member Paolo Bertolin
- - HYUN Bin of THE FATAL ENCOUNTER
- - LEE Jeon-hyoung, CEO/VFX Supervisor of 4th Creative Party
- - HWANG In-ho, Director of MONSTER
- - Co-production Biz-matching Support Submissions Open in July
- - Supporting Emerging Korean Co-productions
- - Interview with Co-Production Veteran Iris MA
- - Four Projects Selected for Korean Film Business Center in Beijing
- - Korean Academy of Film Arts Hosts “2014 KAFA + Indonesia Workshop” in Korea