Cannes Title THE TARGET Sells for CJ
Korean POINT BLANK Remake a Hit with Buyers
Ahead of its screening as part of the Midnight Section of the 67th Cannes International Film Festival, Korean action-thriller The Target sealed a slew of sales for its financier and distributor CJ Entertainment. The sophomore film of director CHANG, which is a remake of the French thriller Point Blank (2010), stars RYU Seung-ryong, LEE Jin-wook and YU Jun-sang and has been doing brisk business at the local box office in Korea.
The Target locked deals with Borsalino in Latin America, Welt Kino in Germany, Praesens in Switzerland, Medyavizyon in Turkey and Gulf Films for the Middle East. In addition, the film’s in-flight rights were snatched up by Skymedia. Meanwhile, back in Korea the film took third place at the box office during its fourth weekend. To date, the thriller has drawn 2.78 million viewers.
Character actor RYU graduated to leading man with last year’s smash hit Miracle in Cell No. 7 and the success of his latest feature confirms his status as a box office star. The Target was one of three Korean features that screened at Cannes, along with A Girl at My Door in Un Certain Regard and A Hard Day in Director’s Fortnight.
- Any copying, republication or redistribution of Kofic's content is
prohibited without prior consent of Kofic.
- - ROARING CURRENTS Tops 51st Daejong Film Awards
- - LEE Kwang-soo to Become a MUTANT
- - Rain and LIU Yifei Melodrama Opens in Chinese Theatres
- - YUN Eun-hye and PARK Si-hoo Confirmed for AFTER LOVE
- - Trends in November: Korean Films in Japan
- - KMS Ambassador ZHANG Yu’an
- - Grabbing 4 Awards Including Best Korean Project and SJM Cultural Foundation Fund
- - An Interview with , President of CAC Entertainment
- - KIM Joo-sung, CEO of Waw Pictures
- - Director LEE Hae-jun of MY DICTATOR
- - KAIST Explores New Trends during Korean Cinema Conference