Cannes Title THE TARGET Sells for CJ
Korean POINT BLANK Remake a Hit with Buyers
Ahead of its screening as part of the Midnight Section of the 67th Cannes International Film Festival, Korean action-thriller The Target sealed a slew of sales for its financier and distributor CJ Entertainment. The sophomore film of director CHANG, which is a remake of the French thriller Point Blank (2010), stars RYU Seung-ryong, LEE Jin-wook and YU Jun-sang and has been doing brisk business at the local box office in Korea.
The Target locked deals with Borsalino in Latin America, Welt Kino in Germany, Praesens in Switzerland, Medyavizyon in Turkey and Gulf Films for the Middle East. In addition, the film’s in-flight rights were snatched up by Skymedia. Meanwhile, back in Korea the film took third place at the box office during its fourth weekend. To date, the thriller has drawn 2.78 million viewers.
Character actor RYU graduated to leading man with last year’s smash hit Miracle in Cell No. 7 and the success of his latest feature confirms his status as a box office star. The Target was one of three Korean features that screened at Cannes, along with A Girl at My Door in Un Certain Regard and A Hard Day in Director’s Fortnight.
- Any copying, republication or redistribution of Kofic's content is
prohibited without prior consent of Kofic.
- - CHOI Dong-hoon Plots ASSASSINATION
- - Korea Sends 4 Films to BFI London Film Festival
- - [infographic] 2014 Thanksgiving Holidays Movie 3 Audience Analysis
- - PARK Chan-wook is Back to the Korean Film Scene after 6 Years of Break
- - Busan Reveals Rich 19th Program
- - Director BONG Meets Audiences in New York.
- - Sabrina Baracetti and Thomas Bertacche
- - Mike Hostench, Sub Director of Sitges Film Festival
- - All Eyes on KWAK Jae-yong’s New Film: MEET MISS ANXIETY