Powerful Opening for MR. GO in China
South Korea-China Co-Production Poised for Solid Business
The big budget Mr. Go has opened in China and scored a record on its first day, during which it accrued RMB 12.2 million, a new single day benchmark for a Korean film in the country. Co-produced by Korea’s Showbox/Mediaplex Inc. and China’s Huayi Brothers Media Corporation, the 3D film landed at number one when it opened this past Thursday (July 18th). Huayi staked 25% of the film’s budget.
The baseball-playing gorilla film replaced the Hollywood tentpole After Earth at the top and is well positioned to play well in the coming days and weeks. Meanwhile, Mr. Go’s Korean performance has been less spectacular, as it currently stands at number three, behind Red 2 and local thriller Cold Eyes.
This marks the third major success for a Korean film in the Chinese market, following CJ Entertainment’s popular produced-for-China romantic comedy A Wedding Invitation and Boram Entertainment Inc.'s Late Autumn. Mr. Go is set to open most of Asia’s major markets over the coming months, with Singapore (July 25th), Malaysia (August 1st) and Taiwan (August 9th) up first.
- Any copying, republication or redistribution of Kofic's content is
prohibited without prior consent of Kofic.
- - FINAL RECIPE Cooks Up Sales for Fortissimo
- - HAN GONG-JU and STEEL COLD WINTER to Compete in Deauville
- - HOPE Director LEE Joon-ik Starring in Japanese Film
- - Okinawa Taps MR. GO and MISS GRANNY
- - Asia Extreme Label Finds New Life in North America
- - JANG Kunjae, Director of A MIDSUMMER'S FANTASIA
- - Director Jung Yoon-suk explores crime and punishment in NON-fICTION DIARY
- - KIM Go-eun, Star of Monster and Memories of the Sword
- - ZHANG Lu’s Warm Gaze At Foreign Laborers
- - JUNG Wook Explores the Hardships of Youth
- [IN FOCUS]
- - In Focus: Tabloid Truth
- - KWON Chil-in, Director of VENUS TALK
- - LEE Tae Hun, the Head of United Pictures
- - PANG Eun-jin, the Director of Way Back Home
- - Myung Films' Jamie SHIM
- - LEESONG Hee-il, Director of NIGHT FLIGHT
- - Korean Academy of Film Arts Hosts “2014 KAFA + Indonesia Workshop” in Korea
- - Building Relationships through Co-Production in East Asia
- - The Korea-Japanese Ko-production Forum 2013
- - Korea-Japan Co-Productions Bear Fruit
- - Ko-Production in Tokyo 2013