Powerful Opening for MR. GO in China
South Korea-China Co-Production Poised for Solid Business
The big budget Mr. Go has opened in China and scored a record on its first day, during which it accrued RMB 12.2 million, a new single day benchmark for a Korean film in the country. Co-produced by Korea’s Showbox/Mediaplex Inc. and China’s Huayi Brothers Media Corporation, the 3D film landed at number one when it opened this past Thursday (July 18th). Huayi staked 25% of the film’s budget.
The baseball-playing gorilla film replaced the Hollywood tentpole After Earth at the top and is well positioned to play well in the coming days and weeks. Meanwhile, Mr. Go’s Korean performance has been less spectacular, as it currently stands at number three, behind Red 2 and local thriller Cold Eyes.
This marks the third major success for a Korean film in the Chinese market, following CJ Entertainment’s popular produced-for-China romantic comedy A Wedding Invitation and Boram Entertainment Inc.'s Late Autumn. Mr. Go is set to open most of Asia’s major markets over the coming months, with Singapore (July 25th), Malaysia (August 1st) and Taiwan (August 9th) up first.
- Any copying, republication or redistribution of Kofic's content is
prohibited without prior consent of Kofic.
- - Gyorgy Palfi’s FREE FALL Lands at Karlovy Vary
- - Puchon International Fantastic Film Festival Held Official Press Conference
- - SHIM Hyung-rae’s D-WAR 2 Secures Investment of 10 Million USD
- - Mokpo Ocean Film Festival Raises Curtains July 31st
- - RYU Seung-ryong and Suzy star in DORIHWAGA
- - KIM Sae-ron of A GIRL AT MY DOOR
- - JANG Woo-jin, Director of A FRESH START
- - SHIM Eun-kyoung of MISS GRANNY
- - PARK Chan-kyong’s Manshin Reasserts the Importance of Korean Shamanism
- - JANG Kunjae, Director of A MIDSUMMER'S FANTASIA
- [IN FOCUS]
- - In Focus: No Tears for the Dead
- - JOUNG Yu-mi, Director of LOVE GAMES
- - Interview with Jeonju Jury Member Paolo Bertolin
- - HYUN Bin of THE FATAL ENCOUNTER
- - LEE Jeon-hyoung, CEO/VFX Supervisor of 4th Creative Party
- - HWANG In-ho, Director of MONSTER
- - Co-production Biz-matching Support Submissions Open in July
- - Supporting Emerging Korean Co-productions
- - Interview with Co-Production Veteran Iris MA
- - Four Projects Selected for Korean Film Business Center in Beijing
- - Korean Academy of Film Arts Hosts “2014 KAFA + Indonesia Workshop” in Korea